Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 2006 STX-15F with about 200 hours. It cuts off at

Customer Question

I have a 2006 STX-15F with about 200 hours. It cuts off at high speeds or in rough water as though the lanyard has been pulled out. It runs fine at low speeds in calm waters. Do I need a new starter or is there something loose in the starter on the handle?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did try to use different lanyards on the chance that one wasn't thick enough to pull the off switch out.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

The symptom you described sounds like you are losing spark. We need to determine exactly what it is before moving into why. I suggest connecting an automotive inductive timing light and take the boat out and re-create the conditions that cause it to quit. The timing light will flash when you are getting spark, and if you lose spark, it will quit flashing. If the flashing continues as the engine dies, then it is likely a fuel problem. Let me know what you find.