Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a mercury 225hp outboar which serial number is

Customer Question

Hi i have a mercury 225hp outboar which serial number is ***** It has i think 2 main problems first is when i turn ignition to on position there is a beep beep beep noise intermittantly. So i did disconnet the wires of oil switch but nothing had changed. But when engine is working no noise. Also engine is not working properly it shakes specially when in gear. And can not reach to high rpms. Can you help?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I bought new tps new crank sensor new flyeheel also new ecm which serial ends with 17 orginal was ending with 2.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is Charles. I will assist you.

You only have one issue. The ECU only looks to the coils at key up, this is what is causing the alarm, one of them is either shorted or open. You will need to do a resistance test on them to locate the bad one.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will do the test and let you know thaks
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just changed the ecm and put back the orginal which ends with 2 . For now all beeping and flashing of the oil and temprature lights had stoped. So i didnt do the checks for coils. Also I couldt start the engine because its been to late. I will let you know about the outcome tomorrow. Before buying the second ecm i have been told that higher the ending number of ecm is better so i did bought the one which ends with 17.
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

The correct replacement ECU for your engine would be 830044T16 the one ending with 17 is for the fuel injected model and must be paired with a ECU for the fuel management as well.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi i started the engine today engine still shakes but when i try to reach higher rpms i observed that carburators are not taking fuel mist homegeniously. All carbs ocesionally takes fuel mist at the same time and engine screams normal for a while. Should i rebuild the carbs? Engine was sitting for couple of years.
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Yes, with the engine sitting, the jets are most like clogged. You will need to remove them, take them apart, and totally clean all of the jets and the small passages inside them. Use new needles and gaskets when you go back together with them.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi i opened and cleaned the carbs and fuel pump. I checked the coils they all read between 1000 and 1100 ohms from a to c and 1100 and 1200 between a to spark connection acording to the manual. But while engine working only sparks that fires are right top and left bottom. The rest are not firing i swaped the coils and nothing had changed. Only 2 sparks are firing. What should i do now?
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

How did you test for spark? Grounding to the block is not very reliable. An adjustable gap spark tool is best.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well i dont have the spark gap tester but when i took of the spark plugs of firing sparks engine dies. When i put gear engine dies. Just 2 spark are fireing
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Are these 4 or 5 wire CDM's?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
4 wire cdms
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

the way that this system grounds, is that they all basically ground back through each other. If you had a bad stop circuit in one or two of then, the two that are working, the rest would not fire. Try unplugging the two that are firing and then test for spark on the others.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will try tomorrow and let you know thank you
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good. Let me know what you get.