Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

2010 Mercruiser 4.3l new engine replaced. Have it out and

Customer Question

2010 Mercruiser 4.3l new engine replaced. Have it out and won't go over 2000 rpm's in drive. Will go over 2000 in neutral and reverse?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Speedometer is also not working.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Can't think of anything more to say at this time...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would really like to be 100% sure I (we-family) are no being scammed. Work hard for a living...and have worked like crazy redoing all of this...to pay the $26 to only start being asked for more money is disappointing so far...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
connected with the mechanic?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

All Mercruisers are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number so I can see exactly which version of the 4.3 you have.

Next, what is the history on the boat/engine, have you ever personally seen the engine make full power?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hi Steve,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It has made full power in neutral and reverse....looking for serial number on new engine.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1A602960
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Got it. This engine is MPI. It will likely have to get hooked up to scan tool in order to see what is going on with it. What kinds of questions did you have for me?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Runs fine until 2000 rpm's under load in forward gear and then won't go any higher in forward gear. The throttle will will move, but it won't go. No timing issue...
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

That is a statement, not a question, what kinds of questions did you have?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am thinking it could be in the linkage. Have you seen or heard of this before?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

I work on hundreds of engines a year. There is a standard method to troubleshooting these engines that involves checking engine compression, checking the firing order, checking for a dead cylinder, checking fuel pressure under load, running the engine off of another fuel supply, and finally hooking the scan tool up to the engine to check for codes and to read the live data. All of that has to be done in order to find out where the problem is. (It is not likely a linkage issue).

Were you looking to get into doing some of that diagnostic troubleshooting?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1st time on the water after rebuild. Trying to troubleshoot on the water. Just looking for some ideas. Just frustrated because I feel like I have covered all my bases. It will run in neutral but not under load. Didn't replace the fuel filter...didn't mess with it. DIdn't replace or mess with out drive. Could I have inadvertently messed with either or should have just changed them out because of the rebuild? Could it be in the shift cables?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

This is going to be very complicated and you will likely not fix this even with my help. I can certainly type out a long list of things to check, but this is a pay website and we do not do this for free. That being said, did you want to continue, or call it quits and get a refund?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Call it quits and get a refund. Sorry to waste your time.