Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

1990 Yamaha 200hp, this engine has been running fine time.

Customer Question

1990 Yamaha 200hp, this engine has been running fine for a long time. Yesterday the engine ran well at 40000 rpm for about 30 min. Then it started running rough and the buzzer started going off and I slowed down. I checked the oil reservoir and it seemed low. So I filled the reservoir. The buzzer stopped and it seemed to run well again. 15 min. Later it started running rough again. So I Opened the cap on the oil reservoir and it started running well again. It continued to do this for the rest of the day about every 15 min. I assume it is linked to oil flow problems but could be wrong. Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

With you having to fill the reservoir on the engine so many times, this leads me to believe that the float in the tank has failed and is not sending the signal to the remote tank to turn on the pump and fill it. See of you can clean the engine oil tank float, but it may need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I only filled the remote tank once (the first time) and yet the buzzer and rough running engine happened probably 6 times throughout the day. I checked the engine oil tank and it was full. As I understand it the buzzer goes off if the engine is starved for oil or if the engine is overheating. I seemed to have oil. It also was pumping water visible by the stream coming out of the engine. In hindsight, could this be a fuel problem?
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

A fuel issue would not sound the alarm. There is also a float in the boat side oil tank, when that tank shows low due to the boat shifting on the water or actually being low on oil, it will also trigger the alarm.