Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a 2003 sea ray 340 sundancer with twin Mercury 8.1

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2003 sea ray 340 sundancer with twin Mercury 8.1 horizons. All of a sudden the starboard engine when In gear only reaches a max rpm of 3600, while the port maxes at 4200. In neutral however it goes up to 4200. The boat was just hauled and the props don't need tuning, so I'm stumped as to what could be causing the issue.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Make sure that the throttle is still advancing to WOT on the engine. Also verify the fuel pressure when you are at 3600 RPM, compare it to the correctly running engine. They should be the same. You could have a faulty fuel pressure regulator.