Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

Would a 2004 2 stroke mercury outboard motor Be to small

Customer Question

Would a 2004 2 stroke mercury outboard motor Be to small for a fiberglass 5.2 meter cuddy cab boat or would that depend on prop size ? Hope you can help. Cheers
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Steve, my name is Jason

Do you know what the boat is rated for horsepower wise?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
115hp I have an old 120 he force motor on it not Sure of year but was told a 2004 2 stroke would probably go the same if not better?
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Steve,

I do apologize for the delay. I believe we are half a world apart. I am in Florida USA and it's 9AM my time right now.

The last year Force was made was 1999.

With any boat, you are never supposed to power it with more than what the boat is rated for. Force engines however were over rated engines. It's marked as a 120 horsepower but realistically it's closer to 100 at the propeller.

In terms of how small you can go. You never want to power a boat with less than 70% of its rated horsepower. For example, if a boat was rated for 100 hp, a 70 is the smallest you would want to go. If the boat is rated for 115 horsepower, the smallest you would want to go is 115 X .70 = 80.5 So 80 is the smallest engine you could put on the boat. Anything smaller and the boat would not perform.

I think that should do it. But I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you