Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

When I start my 12.5 westerbeke gen, it run 2 seconds and

Customer Question

When I start my 12.5 westerbeke gen, it run for about 2 seconds and then throws the breaker on the engine. No load is on the engine and the oil is proper.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Throwing the breaker on the engine is an indication of the charging system delivering too many amps the the battery, or the battery is in a overcharged state. Check the running volts on the engine going to the breaker if it is over 14V DC, the regulator on the engine would be bad.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I know battery is not overcharged.. I will be at my boat on Tuesday and try bypassing alternator to see if generator engine runs. Will get back to you.
Len(###) ###-####
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Your welcome. Let me know how it goes.