Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have lower unit gear oil leqking into the bilge, under

Customer Question

i have lower unit gear oil leqking into the bilge
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: under power the stern drive gear oil is leaking into the bilge on my 2001 volvo sx stern drive
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: not that i can think of
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Is this an SX-A or a SX-M sterndrive?

Did you have any specific or general questions that you wanted me to answer? Or are you asking where the leak is coming from?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hi ken here it is a 2001 volvo penta sx-m stern drive
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

HI Ken,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
im asking how gear oil can get into the bilge
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

If you look at the sterndrive, there is a shaft that runs from the top of the sterndrive through the transom of the boat, and into the back of the engine. This is the input shaft. The input shaft has an oil seal on it where the shaft enters the sterndrive. This oil seal is the one that's leaking. What it's doing is dumping oil into the input shaft bellows, and the oil is leaking from the bellows, past the gimbal bearing, and into the back of the boat.

That's what is going on with it. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is the seal(s) that you are talking about the 2 "O" rings on the shaft?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is there any other way that gear oil can get into the bilge besides the input shaft seal(s)?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

No not those. Click this link to pull up a picture, the one that is leaking is #11

http://www.volvopentastore.com/mall/image/view/7/7/19618_4.png

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

No sir, it's specifically the oil seal on the input shaft.

Was there anything else?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

1 correction, in the picture I sent you the seal is #9, not 11

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
does the gimbel bearing have to be removed to replace the seal?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

To replace the seal, no. To replace it the sterndrive comes off the boat ad the input shaft assembly gets removed from the upper unit. When the shaft is out then the circlip gets removed (#10 in the picture) and once that is out the old seal gets punched out and the new seal gets punched in. then it all goes back together.

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
got it, jason, i was thinking that the gear oil was contained by the "o" rings, but now i see that it is contained by that seal in the upper unit. thanks so much for you help. should i replace the "o" rings while i'm there? what are they for?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

The orings are to keep dust in the engine compartment out of the gimbal bearing and bellows. The transom gasket for the sterndrive will come with new orings so you would end up replacing those as well as part of the overall job.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what number is ***** transom gasket in the diagram?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

The gasket is not shown in that diagram, but if you click this link below, this is it.

https://www.amazon.com/Sierra-International-18-2613-Outdrive-Gasket/dp/B00144EOOE

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I actually have to get running, have to run out to dinner. Was there anything else?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** took the stern drive off last winter, there was no transom gasket between the ginble housing and the stern drive what does that gasket do?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

It keeps water out of the bellows. There should have been a gasket there...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** dinner
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Thank you. Please do not forget to put a rating through for my help. The ratings box is at the top of your screen, if you can not see it please let me know.

Good luck!

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

It looks like you read my reply without putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello, just checking in. No rating has been put forth yet, did you have any other questions on the issue?