Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2003 175hp fuel injected outboard. Recently the low

Customer Question

I have a 2003 175hp fuel injected outboard. Recently the low oil buzzer comes on when plenty of oil in tank & in reservoir on engine. This happens at low speed & if I rev engine a bit it has been stopping. Is this a common problem with this motor & what can be done about it?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

With the alarm only going off at low speed, this actually sounds like you have a voltage issue on the engine. Make sure that when the engine is at idle you are still getting over 12.5V to the battery.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, but how do I check voltage to battery & what can I do if it is low?
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Use a multimeter to test the voltage at the solenoid and at the battery, make sure that they are nearly identical. If it is low, you will need to test the voltage from the stator going to the regulator.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You have asked me to rate your answer. Basically you told me nothing. I requested a phone call but had no response. My problem is still there & I have no idea what might be wrong so thanx for nothing.
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

I have not asked you for a rating, we are still troubleshooting your issue. Have you done the test that I outlined back on the 17th?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tested voltage & it is fine. Problem only occurs when motor is idling under load, when trolling for example. If I raise the rpms slightly it doesn't happen but then trolling speed is too fast unless there is significant wind.
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Do you have the full model number of the engine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is at lake now, will get it next time we go.
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** with the process and let me see which model that you have.