Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I've got a Mercury 2000 125 HP ELPTO. There is a 20 amp fuse

Customer Question

I've got a Mercury 2000 125 HP ELPTO. There is a 20 amp fuse inside the cowling on top of the power head. It keeps popping. What does that fuse protect? Why would it keep failing open?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number so I can run it and see exactly which engine you have.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
0T075300
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Jim Worthy
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Jim,

That fuse provides ignition power to the key switch. Are there any accessories on the boat other than the gauges that get their power from the key switch? By accessories I mean lights, radio, cigarette lighter ect.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The previous owner installed an entertainment radio. It still gets power after the fuse opens so I don't think it is in the ignition circuit.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I haven't checked it but I think the running lights are powered from the switch.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

We need to eliminate any accessories from the key switch. You should only have the wires coming from the engine wiring harness connected to the key switch. There should be no accessories(radios,nav lights, bilge pumps cigarette lighter etc.etc.) connected to the key switch engine only related items like gauges are ok. The ignition circuit isn't designed to handle any other loads except the engine.

Disconnect all of these they should be on a separate circuit fused.