Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

My 2006 bay liner with a 4.3 mercruiser wont start. It gives

Customer Question

My 2006 bay liner with a 4.3 mercruiser wont start. It gives out a single click at the soleniod. I put in a new battery and a new starter but still the same result. Also the warning buzzer sounds. HELP!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not with me
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do have an idicator light
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm getting voltage to the starter
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can it have something to do with the warning buzzer?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

This is why we need a volt meter we have to check for voltage loss when you turn key to crank position. Lets see what we can find with out the meter. Locate the start solenoid on the top of the engine. Jump the 2 large terminals together does engine crank?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ok we have a bad battery cable connection or blown fuse. We need to verify that the battery cables coming from the engine are connected to the battery. Follow the black ground cable to the engine do the same with the red battery cable. Some times the ground get dropped and left off the battery by mistake.

Also have you checked the circuit breaker on the engine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The 50 amp breaker on the top next to the starter solenoid?
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Correect.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's not tripped should I try bypassing ut
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

You can jump the 2 terminals on the back of the breaker while someone tries to crank engine.

Can you get to the starter on this motor? We need to jump from the battery cable connection to the yellow/red wire terminal on the starter. Will engine crank?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Didnt crank
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ok we have a voltage delivery issue. This will be the battery cables. Check both battery cables. Check the cable ends on the battery and the engine. Remove the ground cable from the engine clean with wire brush and refasten.

Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Be sure the battery cable negative is attached to the battery.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is attached
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ok do you have a battery switch?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
On the starter there is a yellow/red and a gray/yellow if they are swapped can that be an issue? I had the starter disconnected by a mechanic friend so I may have them swapped
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No battery switch
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Yes the yellow/red needs to be on the inside terminal.

In this pic you will see the yellow/red it should be connected to terminal A. http://i.imgur.com/CroY8Vv.jpg

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The engine block is grounded good
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

The starter should still crank when you jump from terminal C to A. http://imgur.com/CroY8Vv

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That pick doesn't match my starter
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can I send u a pick
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

It won't be exact but the terminals are the same. Here is another view. Yellow/red to B terminal battery cable to A terminal.

http://i.imgur.com/SbZmo0h.png

Yes please scroll down to other on this page. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I think I have that swapped what is the C terminal for?
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

C terminal goes directly to the starter motor.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
K just checking
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ok if you battery cable was connected to the C terminal the starter motor would be spinning.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It wasn't I was just wondering
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Do this disconnect the battery cable and touch the C terminal does starter motor spin?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are 2 other wires that are connected to a fuse on the A terminal is that correct? One is orange and goes to the alternator and the other is red an I'm not sure we're that one goes to
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

The red goes to the circuit breaker. We know the fuse is ok as the starter doesn't crank when you jumped from the yellow/red to the battery cable connection bypassing everything. This leaves the starter or battery cables. Did you have this problem before replacing the starter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good news I swapped the 2 wires and it cranked. But I noticed my trim won't move? The black wire that goes from the battery to the trim motor does that connect to the poss or neg?
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

That connects to the negative terminal of the battery. Blacks are always ground/negative unless the cable is marked otherwise.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's what I thought but at the hydrolic it says something about "screw connects to battery positive
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

You have 2 wires coming from the trim pump one positive and one negative. 1 black and one red. Black to ground/negative red to positive.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Got it, trim is going down but not up? I can here a click when I hit the up switch
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Clicking is usually a bad connection on the solenoid or a bad solenoid. You will have to check all connections. If clean and tight replace the solenoid. The top solenoid is the up solenoid blue wires.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks I think I can handle it from here! You were great help!
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Your welcome............Thank you for your patience..........Tan

Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you.

Thank you......Tan