Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I'm pretty sure the intermittent right pull, very hard to

Customer Question

I'm pretty sure the intermittent right pull, very hard to turn left is due to cable catching on something behind the side housing in my 19 ft- Four Winns-v8 ski boat. It happens intermittenly, is har to turn left-- then something "gives" and it is ok for awhile. My problem is I don't think I can reconstruct the side covering like original if I start pulling it all apart to look for where/why the steering cable to the rear gets hung up.-- MIke Gillogley
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I have ten fingers and part of a working brain
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello Mike. My name is Tan.

The steering cable is encased in a housing. Here is an example of the cable. If it were hanging up the cable would not allow you to steer at all.

Is this an inboard or sterndrive boat?