Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

Two things. One is my auto pilot works while then goes crazy

Customer Question

Two things. One is my auto pilot works for a while then goes crazy and spins for no reason. it has been doing it for a while but I just quit using auto pilot and manually controlled it with my co pilot. The latest thing just happened yesterday. Propeller works fine but the motor turns very slowly when I change directions. any suggestions?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Where are the walleyes biting?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

With the steering being slow, you may have a bad steering box. Remove the cover over the center of the motor, then locate the black and the white wire. Remove them from the control board. Apply 12V directly between them, the motor should turn. If it is still slow, replace the steering box. If it is normal speed, replace the control board.