Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I'm trying to learn how to do a compression check on a 1900

Customer Question

I'm trying to learn how to do a compression check on a 1900 Yamaha Waverunner - 500
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The engine will turn over but will not start
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: the engine compartment did take on some water because the rider was unaware the drain plug was loose. It did run a couple of times after the incident but was harder to start each time
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

To do a compression test, remove the spark plugs, install the compression tester gauge into the spark plug hole. Crank the engine over until the gauge reaches max reading. Record that reading. Do the same for all remaining cylinders. You are wanting all cylinders to be with-in 15% of each other.