Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 40hp e-tec and when you turn on the key it blows

Customer Question

i have a 40hp e-tec and when you turn on the key it blows the main fuse order a new wiring harness I can take the emm and put it on another 40hp e-tec and it starts right up which lead me to the wiring harness got the new one in and hooked up the emm and still popping the fuse...I took the other 40hp emm and put it to the harness and it powered right up
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the new harness is not on the motor I put 12 volts to it and used a test key switch I have
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Are there any accessories such as lights, radio, gauges or a fishfinder that get their power from the key switch?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dakota...yes everything powers at the dash....I have the new harness on the toolbox and I can put 12 volts to it and it pop it with the emm on that motor but I can take that same emm and put it on the other 40 I have and it will turn over
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Dakota,

The fuse is for the purple ignition wire on the back of the key switch. Disconnect all purple wires on the key switch, turn the key to run, and let me know if the fuse blows again or not.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the key switch is not hooked up I have a test key switch I have to test it
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

What kind of questions do you have?