Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a 1983 115 HP-Model J115MLCTE. I need to replace the

Customer Question

I have a 1983 Johnson 115 HP-Model J115MLCTE. I need to replace the thermostat. How do I get access to the thermostat?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello Steve. My name is Tan.

The only way to get to the thermostats is from the top below the exhaust plate. It is very tight but can be done. Glue all the gaskets in place along with the thermostats. This helps in keeping everything together. Then you push the t-stat cover into place and install the center bolt. It is very aggravating and may take more than one try. I have done hundreds of these in 40 years of working on these motors.

It is a pain but it can be done. If there were and easier way I would have found out about it many years ago. So no shorts cuts or real trick.

Post back with questions.

Thank you.......Tan