Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1997 Cobalt 232 Bow Rider, last Saturday, we went

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Cobalt 232 Bow Rider, last Saturday, we went to the lake and started our boat. It ran fine out of the marina, but when I wanted to give it gas it spuddered, no power, tried about 4 times same thing. Then it died and it would turnover but would not start, tried several times. What do you think the problem is? My name is ***** ***** Kansas, fuel filter? bad gas. I put fuel stabilizer in every time I add gas.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Hi Tom, my name is Jason.

Can I get the full and complete model number of the engine. I know you wrote that it was a 7.4 GSI, GSI is a family of engines, and not a specific model, I need the specific model.

Next, what can you tell me about the engine? Have you ever personally seen it make full power? The more you can tell me the better.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Engine serial #(###) ###-#### ***** unit serial #(###) ###-#### ***** manufacturer(###) ###-#### ***** # *****
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

The serial number you gave doesn't come up in the dealer database. The model number I also not correct. Can you double check both of those numbers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have never had any problems with the boat, we have owed it since 2010. I filled boat full with gas the time before last Saturday and added fuel stabilizer. Sometime at beginning of season the winter fogging sometimes took a while to run with ear flaps at my house. It was just not getting gas once it died that day
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Good morning and sorry for the delay, we all do this on the side, when you last replied last night I was off to bed.

Have you checked for spark, or tried any starting fluid to see if it will hit on that?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Engine serial #(###) ###-#### ***** out drive serial #(###) ###-#### ***** plate #(###) ###-#### ***** serial# *****
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I'm fifty miles away from it, might try to get there today
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Do you want to check it and get back to me?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Okay let me know what you find.

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Any progress?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Won't get there till Tuesday
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Okay let me know how you make out.