Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

Tubing with kids made a 90 turn t some waves. Engine sounded

Customer Question

Tubing with kids made a 90 turn hit some waves. Engine sounded funny as felt like running out of gas (full tank) put in neutral and turned off asap. Engine started to overheat around 200 let cool down a bit turns over but no start. I thunk air got in water intake and i have a failed impeller? 2007 mercruiser 4.3 alpha 1 carb. After looking in bay to inspect 1 of tge spark plug boots was not on??? Pluged back on..
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Barry, good morning my name is Jason.

Have you restarted it since this incident? When was the last time the impeller was changed in on the boat? What is the serial number on the engine.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tuesday was day of mishap. Had t work yesterday and 1/2 day today. Going out to lake and going to have a look. Bought the boat last year. Its a 2007 tahoe 07 mercruiser 4.3 alpha one turn key start (carb) i will have to get serial when i go out. As far as i know the impeller has not been changed as it only has low hours 85hrs. Before season changed oil filter. And plugs. Have not changed water/fuel separator yet. Picking up a water pump/impeller kit in way out to lake. I am hoping impeller is somewhat intact. When i go out should i even try to start it. Or take out of water pull lower unit and investigate? It does try to turn over but eont fire up. Really wierd thing is after it happened i went under hood looked for loose connections etc...and one of my spark plug boots was not on plug????? I hit the wave pretty good jolted the boat hard. But wondering if its like the boat had a cincussion lol...
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

The engine needs a new impeller every 2 years. they are just rubber and regardless of engine hours, they will dry rot and get stiff just from the passage of time. If the impeller is orginal it's been past due for close to 7 years now.

What I would do is check the engine oil first, if that looks good, then go ahead an try and start it and see what happens. If it doesn't start, you would want to check and see if it has any spark by hooking up a timing light to a plug wire and crank the engine over.

Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure if i should start it...squeezed all the coolant hoses and there is no water in them. Does water stay in the hoses when sitting in water at the dock? If impeller bad which i am sure it is and if i have no water in engine/hoses i would hate to start. Dry start...would water suck in at all?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if it does start how long do i run it without causing more damage?
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

There is no pressure in the engine when the engine is off. If you look at the engine you will see a water line that runs from the top of the inner transom plate to the thermostat housing. This is the main water line. You can disconnect that line at the tstat housing, start the engine up and see if you start getting water out of that line or not. If you do not, then the impeller is toast. If you do, go ahead and hook the line back up and run the engine some more.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Checked all would crank over but not fire. Pulled out plug attached to boot started and got a nice jolt lol...the 90 amp over heating popped yellow switched. Pushed red button reset. Same...there was a wire out near speaker on portvside wall plugged back in and now i get nothing trying to start no clicking nothing...i still have all my radio. Guages fish finder working...but nothing...lanark swith is on and played with throttle making sure in neutral. I am tjing its a ignition coil? I would hate going and buying part after part if its not that...but i am 100% its a electrical problem..when i hit that wave hard it loosened something just dont know what...and whatever it loosened it made my engine over hear because if that 90amp prevention fuse popped...what u tjink bud?
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

I think there is to many things wrong for me to try and walk you through this over the internet. I will opt out, if anybody else wants to jump in they will. Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Wife almist hime with brand new battery...had to get a new ine anyways but i can atleast i can cross that off
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Too many wrong things? Heck just bought the boat i a have no experience in boat notors what soever. This is basic wiring boating
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks anyway...there goes $35.
Frystrated beyond...