Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I get no spark when I try to start it. I have a 70 hp,

Customer Question

I get no spark when I try to start it. I have a 70 hp Johnson , probably ('90ish)
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: We had an electrical fire right at the engine housing. The power cables apparently wore through and shorted starting a little fire that we immediately extinguished. I replaced the power cables and recovered the control cable as it did not appear to have suffered any damage except the rubber coating was melted off a 3" section. Now it turns over but I get no spark at the plugs.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Locate the power pack and disconnect the black/yellow wire from the pack. Check for spark. Do you have spark.

You will have to pull the pin out of the plug or cut the wire for this test. If still no spark we will have to do some ohm tests to find the problem. Do you have an ohm meter or DVA peak reading voltage adapter?