Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I came to my boat today and saw a oil sheen around motor,

Customer Question

I came to my boat today and saw a oil sheen around motor, tilted up, and noticed some oil on the transom and slightly dripping from bolts under the motor as seen in pic- dipstick with motor tilted all the way down (prop deepest) showed a tiny speck of oil- trimmed a few inches up stick was covered in oil- motor is a 2003 Suzuki 140hp- 565 hours, just changed our water impeller and thermostat- first pic shows the silver bolts down center after I cleaned oil off first one- second pic shows small drop of oil near right back wall of transom - that pet had an inch of oil line before I cleaned it- suggestions?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

When you installed the gear case, if it did not go on smoothly, you could have damaged the oil pan. You are goig to need to haul the boat, and remove the gear case again. Inspect the upper end of the shaft for any oil. This could also be from a bad seal on the oil pump, or even a crack in the block.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What do you mean by the gear case? And thanks for your response- I have read this model engine is notorious for a corrosion issue due to exhaust plug- I'm going to check boat in harbor right now to see if more leaked- pulling the boat seems to be what to do here....
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

the gear case is the lower unit, where the prop is located.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh got it ok thanks
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Let me know what you see.