Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a pre-1997 honda bf15a with very few hours, it has

Customer Question

i have a pre-1997 honda bf15a with very few hours, it has been very well taken care of ,looks new. sometimes when it starts it will only run on one cylinder for 2-5 minutes and then take of and run great the rest of the day, other times it will start right up and run great for a couple hours and then cut to one cylinder and cough and spit for 2-5 minutes and then it will kick in and run great. i've had it to my local honda dealer 3 times. we have changed the ignition coil, the fuel tank and conections , the spark plus , the plug wires and caps, sonic boiled the carberator. yet it still does it. it's driving me crazy. what could it be ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Run your engine until is begins to break up, then pull the kill lanyard to stop it. Remove the spark plugs, and look at the tips of them. You are looking for any signs of water on the plugs. if there is, you have either a leaking head gasket or a leaking exhaust plate gasket.