Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

2008 Honda 225 hp warning sensor buzz at idle but not at any

Customer Question

2008 Honda 225 hp warning sensor buzz at idle but not at any other rpm. Have changed all fuel filters thinking it is a water sensor issue but gas looks good. Can it be a bad sensor? The motor runs fine at all rpm but idle. If I run it above idle and then come back to idle after a short time the senor beeps. Turn off motor and restart and the sensor stops for a while.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

With the alarm only going off at low speeds, the issue is going to be the cooling of the engine. The correct action would be to replace the water pump and inspect the thermostats. If they are corroded, replace them as well.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I figured out the problem late
Monday evening. It was the oxygen sensor located in the exhaust manifold. Honda did not plan for water being sucked into exhaust when the boat slows down.
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

There was a bulletin on these engines where the exhaust tube needed to be lengthened. Only a Honda dealer can run your serial number and tell you if the engine has the update in it or not. If it does not, this will happen again.