Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1996 Yamaha Waveraider that will not start. I

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Yamaha Waveraider that will not start. I purchase a new battery. I try to start it and I think the starter is bad. I was wondering how hard it is to replace and where the unit is located at.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Let me know what other options it could be. Sometimes it seems to want to start for a second and then it sounds like the fly wheel is spinning.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I fill out the cc form.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 5 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

Yamaha made 2 different Raiders in 96. They made a 700 and an 1100. Which model do you have?

The first thing no matter what that I would suggest is testing for voltage to the starter motor before you remove it. Also, if the unit has been used in salt water, there is another problem you will probably encounter. The nose cone of the starter motor tends to get corroded and very stuck in the crank case and will not come out without extraordinary measures.

To test the starter, take the electrical box apart and find the starter relay. With the lanyard installed, a full charge on the battery, take a volt meter and test for battery voltage to the starter relay on the large red cable come from the battery. Then check for battery voltage on the other cable going to the starter motor when you hit the starter button. If you don't have voltage through the relay, we have other issues. Once you let me know which model you have and the results of this test, we can get more specific from there.

Thanks

Customer/p>