Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

1987 Mercruiserwill not release from reverse or forward. In

Customer Question

1987 Mercruiser*****will not release from reverse or forward. In both cases I have to use release trigger and go past neutral. Kill switch is working perfectly, the gears are just not releasing
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Disconnect the shift cable coming from the control at the shift bracket on the engine now try shifting by hand will it shift?

Does the engine shift into gear ok but will not shift out of gear is this correct?

Have you verified the interrupt switch is working?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Am not at boat so I can't try this. I have verified the interrupt switch is working (I mistakenly referred to it as a kill switch)
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Have you checked the gear lube in the drive? We need to separate the control from the shift bracket to eliminate it as a possible cause of the issue.

Now Mercruiser techs should know that once the shift cable to the drive has been adjusted at installation there is n readjusting as it is only a temporary fix if at all. So why they adjusted the cable is beyond me. They don't go out of adjustment unless some messes with them.

How did you verify the shift switch function?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have not checked the gear lube. Will do that. I verified the shift switch because the engine cuts off for a split second plus the technician said it was working ok. I will change the gear lube and see if t hat makes a difference. The engine shifts into gear fine and will shift from forward to reverse easily if I don't let it stop in neutral.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also, different question. I broke off about 3-4 inches of the skag last year, didn't have it repaired boat ran fine. I drug it the other day on the driveway, can't tell how much more it scraped off. Had boat out yesterday and the boat will not trim out like before when it starts to cavitate. Will not raise the front of boat nearly like it did last year.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did you get my second question?
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Ok we need to disconnect the shift cable coming from the control and see how it shifts. Shits the drive from the shift bracket. Then shift the drive manually. Does it shift correctly?

Did you damage the prop when you drug the drive?