Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Yanmar 3GM diesel on my Hunter sailboat is hard to start.

Customer Question

Yanmar 3GM diesel on my Hunter sailboat is hard to start. Have to grind the starter for about 15 seconds, let it rest, and then grind again. During this process it tries to start but just can't quite do it. When it finally does start, there is a large cloud of black smoke, and a small oil slick on the water from the exhaust. Also, after running at 2500 RPM for about 5 hours last week, I noticed a small amount of diesel fuel under the engine.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Last year, I paid a mechanic to tighten all of the bleeder screws and fuel line connections. He said that there is one particular connection on the left side - rear of the engine (naturally where it is most difficult to get at) that is a known issue with this engine. That didn't seem to help much, and I do not see a noticeable fuel trail on the engine anywhere. Any advice of suggestions?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

God morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Is there a story or a history to this engine? Has it ever started easier or differently for you in the past?