Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

My boat has a new tilt motor and, since being replaced, it

Customer Question

My boat has a new tilt motor and, since being replaced, it keeps blowing 30 amp fuses. It works sometimes but, only once per fuse at best. I ran a new ground directly to the battery hoping that would fix it but, it didn't. What else could be the problem?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Which engine/tilt system are we working on?

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

It looks like you read my reply and logged off. Did you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm Eric. I'm referring to the motor that raises, & lowers the outdrive.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Hi Eric

You never listed what you were working on. Is this a Mercruiser, Volvo,, Mercury, Yamaha, Suzuki, Johnson, Evinrude???? I need a make and then either model or serial number just to know what you have.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not too sure. I just bought it 3-weeks ago. I have a copy of the repair order, does 1985 5.7 omc cobra make sense? It's an '87 Beachcraft 195
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello Eric. My name is Tan.

Have you run a new power supply to the trim?I see you did the ground. If you have a bad power supply it can cause a strain on the fuse due to resistance. Then if you have done that then the relay is going to be the problem or the new motor. I would guess the relay as the problem if you have good power and ground.

Does this look like your trim unit?http://www.marineengine.com/parts/omc-parts-diagrams/STERN-DRIVE/55331.gif

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just to clarify, it's an inline fuse on the ground wire. That can blow if the power supply is bad?
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Yes if the wires are frayed or you have corrosion the wire will get hot and blow the fuse. The connections at the plug where the trim motor connects if corroded they can cause the fuse to over load and blow.

Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Does the fuse blow when you trim in either direction?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Ok check your connections and if it still blows replace both relays.

Was the diagram of the trim unit like yours?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not sure. I have it at a boat storage facility. I'll check this weekend.
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Ok Eric keep me posted. It's not likely that you have 2 bad solenoids. One more thing to try is disconnect the trim switch wires and jump each solenoid individually. The solenoid with the blue wires is the up and the solenoid with the green is down. Jump 12 volts to the small green wire on down solenoid and the small blue on the up solenoid.

It is possible you have a short in the trim switch wiring harness.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, I'll try that. I'll be in touch this weekend.
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Ok. Thank you.......Tan