Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a 2000 225 Evinrude that doesn't want to shut off I

Customer Question

I have a 2000 225 Evinrude that doesn't want to shut off I even turn the battery switch off which I know it's not good but still idols I even unplugged from the wire harness by the controls still was running of course I did the lanyard first thing my voltmeter shows that it's just running off the motor strange it will power the lights so I just give it a quick rev and it shuts off
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

You have one of two issues, a shorted wiring harness on the engine, or there is a short inside the EMM. Start with doing a through inspection of the wiring harness, looking for any place that may be melted or fused together. If the harness is good, the EMM will need to be sent off for repair.