Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I have a 2010 Mercury Pro Kicker 9.9 (pontoon) that won't

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 2010 Mercury Pro Kicker 9.9 (pontoon) that won't start after sitting idle for about 4 weeks. I believe I may have water in the fuel system as I was doing some power washing around the fuel tank about 4 or 5 weeks ago. How do I completely drain the fuel system? Do I need any additives other than Stabil?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Steve, my name is Jason.

All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I start by getting that number so I can look up and see exactly what you have.

Next, have you checked for spark output to make sure the engine wasn't lacking it? And that this is in fact a fuel problem?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Jason...I got interrupted. I need to dig out serial number and get back to you. Back to you later.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jason...Sorry I got interrupted. I'm going to need to pull my files to find serial number. Will get back to you soon. Thanks.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

No problem, there are no time limits here. Lets start with the serial and we'll take it from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cannot locate original invoice with serial number. I'm having difficulty checking for spark as it is hard to see in bright sunlight. Is testing for spark easier with spark tester? May need to get someone to crank starter while I get closer to plugs.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jason...nevermind for now. I'm going to check for spark with a tester.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

The easiest way to check for spark is to get a timing light and hook the light up to each plug wire and see if the light flashes or not when the engine runs. If it does, there is good spark, if it does not, there is no spark.

The serial number will be on a sticker on the clamp bracket, starboard side.

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in, any progress?