Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1988 Ranger with a 150 hp Yamaha. The stering is

Customer Question

I have a 1988 Ranger with a 150 hp Yamaha. The stering is hard to turn . It has hydrolic stering. Where is the place where I put in hydrolic fluid
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 4 months ago.

Depends on which unit you have. If you can tell me which unit you have I can help further.

However have you greased the swivel bracket? The swivel bracket is the large part under the block and above the lower unit. Look for the grease fittings on the side.

Symptoms of low fluid usually start with non movement and shaky/ jerky movement. Are you getting any of these?

Disconnect the hydraulic cylinder from the engine, one bolt in the center. See if you can manually move the engine back and forth by hand. See if the hydraulic cylinder now moves.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The motor is a 150hp Yamaha ProV
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 4 months ago.

I need to know what steering system and symptoms. Please answer the posted questions. Yamaha doesn't make the steering.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't turn the motor manualy. But I can turn the motor by the steering wheel with the boat out of the water it's fairly easy to turn to the right but it's hard to turn to the left I think I might need a new ram
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 4 months ago.

You may have air in the system, low on fluid or a seal internally may be leaking. Still don't know what system you have.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My system has two rams and two hoses. Fluid level is good . If there is air in the lines , how do I remove the air
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't see any evidence of fluid leakage
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 4 months ago.

Is there a name on the cylinder? A logo on the helm?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I found the problem. There was air in the lines. I probably won't need your assistance anymore. Thanks for all your help
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if you need help bleeding it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 4 months ago.

Thanks, ***** *****'t have to respond.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you do any electrical (fish finders )
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 4 months ago.

You'll need to ask this as a separate question. Thanks