Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

Seadoo Challenger 800 w/ 787 engine. Boat was running along

Customer Question

Seadoo Challenger 800 w/ 787 engine. Boat was running along at 5500-6000 then all of a sudden fell of plane and would not run over 4500rpm. Mis firing occasionally, rpms up and down. Limped it home. Took it out the next day to trouble shoot. Ran fine the first 10 minutes and then did the same thing. Checked compression, 150lbs both cyclinders. Checked spark, seemed good. Replaced coil. But ran smoother but still would not accelerate above 3500. Will obtain 7000 on trailer. New engine 18 months ago so assume its not rave valves or stator. Looking for what to pursue next.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Look at plugs that came out of the engine. Make sure that one is not cleaner than the other. If one looks almost new, you have water entering the cylinder from either the water jacket on the cylinders or from the exhaust.