Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Engine cranks but won't start. 2014 Sea Ray Sport 205 with

Customer Question

Engine cranks but won't start. 2014 Sea Ray Sport 205 with 4.3 MPI Mercruiser
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Joe, my name is Jason.

What is the history on this engine, when did it last start, and when did the problem start?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was on the water pulling a tube and all was working. I anchored for about an hour and the engine would not restart.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The engine only has about 20 hours on it 2014 purchased in 2015. This problem happened yesterday
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

The engine needs 3 things to run. Compression, spark and fuel. The easiest way to start this would be to check fuel pressure and check spark output and see if you have both or are missing one or the other. Is that something you can do?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not sure how to do that, but it does seem to be starving for fuel
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

This should be a warranty issue and any dealer would normally take care of this at no charge. What kinds of questions did you have for me?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Guess not then?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was wondering if there was something I could check myself as the Marina's in the area would not be able to look at it for several days
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

There is a spin on fuel filter on the front of the engine. Remove it and pour the constants into a glass jar. Make sure that you do not have water in it. If there is, there will be water in the fuel tank and that will need to be gotten rid of first.