Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

My prop is turning but when i give gas the boat doesnt want

Customer Question

my prop is turning but when i give gas the boat doesnt want to get up and go
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi John, my name is Jason.

It sounds like you have a bad propeller hub, are you familiar with what that is?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no im not is that where the propeller is
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Yes. The propeller hub is on the inside of the propeller itself. The hub is what couples the propeller to the propeller shaft. It's design is sacrificial in that if you ever hit the bottom, hit a log, pick up some rope ect the hub would slip and sacrifice itself and spin so you don't damage the rest of the lower unit, gears, bearings and shafts. They spin if you hit something, and they also can spin if they are old props, as the hub is made of rubber, and it does dry rot and shrink over time. Once they have spun, they will grab somewhat at lower rpms, and then let go when you really put the power down, making it feel like a slipping clutch.

Most people buy a new prop so they can use the boat right away. And You can send also the prop out to have it re-hubbed by a propeller repair shop. On average it runs 75 to 100 dollars. If you do not know where a propeller repair shop is in your area just call your closest dealer. This isn't brand specific, so you could call any dealer or boatyard, as all dealers/boatyards deal with propeller repair shops. And they will be able to tell you were your closest prop repair sop is, or they would just send it out for you. Does that all make sense to you? If yes, did you have any further questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi John, just checking in, did you have any other questions on the issue?