Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

My Mariner 4 boat motor starts fine and rev's up okay but

Customer Question

my Mariner 4 boat motor starts fine and rev's up okay but when I have it in gear and try to accelerate, it dies. What's up? thanks Steve
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: mariner 4 dies when in gear and trying to accelerate
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello Steve. My name is Tan.

Has the motor been sitting unused for awhile?

Could I get the engine serial number please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It sat over the winter.the serial number is ***** S 100137 , i think
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

With engine running put engine in gear when throttling up choke the engine. Does it run better? If no change squeeze the primer bulb. Does engine run better?

The most likely problem is the carburetor is clogged up from old fuel residue. The high speed jet is in the bottom of the carburetor causing the lack of power.

That serial number doesn't come up. Can you give me the model year and hp please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i'll try the choke. It doesn't have a primer bulb that i can find.it's a 1988 4 hp
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the serial number is ***** 100137
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Ok there is no primer bulb as the tank is on the engine. The carburetor is most likely the problem. If choking allows the engine to pick up speed then the carburetor is dirty and will have to be removed, disassembled, cleaned and a carb kit installed.

You will need to inspect the fuel tank for old fuel residue also. Check the filter # ***** on the engine also. Some had an inline filter others had a filter on the valve # ***** that screws into the tank. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/static/img/MERMAR/96332/3.gif

Post back with findings.