Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I'm looking at a 27 ft sea ray amberjack and wanted to know

Customer Question

I'm looking at a 27 ft sea ray amberjack and wanted to know how I can tell if the structure or the frame work of the boat is sound and do you know anything off hand about this boat.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Im looking at this boat tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

The boat uses a fiberglass skin over wood core, which is fairly typical marine construction. What happens with this style of construction over time is that water will eventually get into the wood core, causing the wood to rot out. When I do pre-purchase inspections for my customers (and what professional marine surveyors also do) is use a tool called a protimiter to check the boats frame work. A protimiter is a very fancy moisture meter that an read the level of moisture in the wood underneath of the fiberglass skin without having to drill holes. What we do is use the protimiter to check the moisture levels in the transom, stringers, engine supports, decking, and especially around windows. When we do the inspections we also do reports for the customer. What we do here is take a bunch of pictures of the boat from various angles, and then we write in what the moisture levels were reading with the protimiter in all of the areas that we scanned.

Does that all make sense to you? If yes, did you have any further questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

It looks like you read my reply without putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello, just checking in. Did you have any further questions on the issue?