Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1994 StarCraft with a 3.0 L Mercruiser. I took it

Customer Question

I have a 1994 StarCraft with a 3.0 L Mercruiser. I took it to a dealer and he put in a new flywheel and starter to the tune of $2700. That was four years ago. My starter fell off a few weeks ago. The far back stud was broken in the block. I thought I would have to pull the engine to get it fixed but I found a replacement starter that had a different boat pattern from the original starter. Now I am having trouble putting the new starter on. I have it mounted but I'm not sure if I have the wiring correct or if I've mounted it correctly. I can jump the terminals and the starter spins but doesn't turn the engine. The switch only clicks the starter - it does not turn. Any suggestions.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Try this apply 12 volts to the yellow/red terminal on the starter does the starter engage and turn the engine over?