Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1996 150 ocean runner ded on me in the lake.

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Johnson 150 ocean runner ded on me in the lake. couldn't get restarted after messing wth it I discovered it strts with key turned to start position but dies when turned to run position. what could ths be?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Disconnect the black/yellow wire at the key switch will engine start and run?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I have disconnected the wires to the key at motor . jumped the power wire and made crank. does the exact same thing. hile starter wire s energize t wll run. but as soon as you let off the engne dies. could it be mssing key power some where to the coilpack?
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

Ok we need to disconnect the plug on the top of the power pack port side. Remove the cover # ***** Will engine start and run?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Engine doesn't run at all now. When plug is unplugged.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

Which plug did you disconnect?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As your looking at the engine from the back of the boat. The plug on the left. Wasnt sure so I plugged it in and tryed the other wouldn't start with either unplugged. But started when cranking after I plugged them both back in.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

So is the engine running now or do you still have the same problem.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Same problem.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

Ok we need to disconnect the 6 pin plug of the engine wiring harness where the boat harness connects to the engine harness. Then you will have to crank the motor at the start solenoid. Jump from the battery cable connection on the solenoid to the yellow/red terminal. Do you have spark and does engine run now?

You will have to disconnect the fuel to shut engine off.