Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

1979 mercury 50hp out board bogs and will not rev.under

Customer Question

1979 mercury 50hp out board bogs and will not rev.under load. carbs were just rebuilt but not shore how to set up carbs or timing on motor
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: another mechanic worked on this motor and has moved all the setting so do not know what the base adjustments are for this motor
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
also motor only revs half way when out of gear if I manually move the timing lever to hit stop will rev the rest of the way
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Use this manual, starting on page 67 to get a baseline for you engine. It will allow you to get the linkages and the carbs at a base line, and you may need a bit if tweaking after that.