Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1991 90hp outboard with model # of TJ90TLEND. Last

Customer Question

I have a 1991 Johnson 90hp outboard with model # ***** TJ90TLEND. Last week the warning buzzer was coming on and staying on at one steady tone. I disconnected the oil injection when to 50 to 1 oil solution and the tone stopped. I got this information about the oil solution from a technician on this site. I used the boat last Thursday and every thing was ok. Today I started the boat and after about ten minutes of running the buzzer starting going off again. This time it was not a steady buzz but instead it was a beeping sound. If I turn the motor off and wait a minute to restart the buzzer will not beep for a few minutes and then start again. Currently I have the oil tank disconnected and I am just running off of the 50 to 1 oil solution in the tank.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The way the buzzer works is the long tone BEEEEEP is for over heat, the fast BEEp,beep,beep,beep this is no oil warning then lastly about every seconds the horn will beep one tiome then do it repeating every 30 seconds the is low warning.

So the fast beep is the sensor in the VRO pump. Since you have the VRO oiling side just unplug the harness on the VRO pump the fast beep will quit.

The long tobe BEEEEEEEp is over heat this will be the cooling system failing. Water pump, thermostat, pressure relief valve and finally a failed sensor on the cylinder head.

When was the last time you had the cooling system serviced?