Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

Ok, I 't have any spark, I have a 1993 searayder with a 90,

Customer Question

Ok, I don't have any spark, I have a 1993 searayder with a 90, the engine serial is oe037197, at least that's what the tag on the drive says, the tag on the motor is worn off. I've been interchanging different components and following the shop manual guide for troubleshooting, but my question was, I also have what I believe to be a 115 or 120 horse sportjet motor, oe067109. My question. Was if the electrical components were the same on both motors, because I would like to put the bigger motor in my boat
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No, that's everything I have
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

According to the serial numbers that you posted, both of them are 90 HP engines. The electrical on both engines is similar but not exactly the same. Swapping it may not make the installed engine run correctly.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, thanks. The motor that is in the boat ran perfectly, I started it in my driveway, to make sure it started, then took it to the boat ramp, dropped it in the water, and then nothing. No spark whatsoever. I replaced the trigger with a used trigger that I ohlmed out and was correct according to the shop manual, then after a few attempts to start it, I ohlmed out the trigger again and one side had halved itself, it went from 2.4 k ohlms before I tried starting the motor, and after I tried to start it, turned over for a total of maybe 10 or 15 seconds, it was reading 1.3 k ohlms. I'm assuming that I need a new trigger and cdi box, but before I spend all that money, what would you recommend I do?
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

If your not getting any spark at all, test the output from the stator on the red and the blue wires. The blues need 180V cranking and the red should be getting about 25V. Meter set to ACV

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, my stator has two yellows, a green and white wire, and a white and green wire, no reds or blues
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Ok, its been updated. For the test, measure between the green and the green/white. Still should get 180V AC

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I finally gave in and bought a CDI box, trigger and stator. The stator and CDI have matching color wires, and I'm confident I can put them where they belong, but the trigger doesn't totally match, they both have four wires, the new and old one, with a brown, a purple and a white wire. The fourth wire, however, on the old one is white with a black stripe, and goes into the CDI box, but on the new trigger, the fourth wire is black, and has an I at the end, as if to connect to a ground. Should I cut off the I and connect it to the white and black that the old trigger was connected to, or did I order the wrong trigger? I have a picture but my phone won't let me post it. I'll try to do it with my computer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, here they are. the old trigger is the one above, and the new one is below
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Yes it will go to a ground.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do I just leave the white and black that comes out of the CDI box?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Can I get a pic of the switchbox?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will take one when I get home from work
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** can send the part numbers that you ordered, that would help as well.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
828302A1 TRIGGER ASY-3 CYL (Mercury Marine)
832075A21 STATOR ASSY (Mercury Marine)(###) ###-####CDI(###) ###-####Mercury Mariner Switch Box - 3 Cyl.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Those do look right.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, here is the switch box, if you still wanted to see it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
should I put the wire from the trigger to ground, and leave the white and black wire from the switch box that the old trigger plugged into hanging? because the wire is on the new switch box, too
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

I found the mix up. The trigger is for the 3 cyl outboard. You need,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, so I bought the trigger for an outboard, not the sport jet?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Yes, the trigger does go to a sport jet also, just not yours. It is for the bias circuit that raises the trigger voltage when the engine is running.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I got the right trigger, everything went together perfectly, all the wires matched and everything, and it has BEAUTIFUL spark. I hooked up the hose in the driveway, went to start it, and the starter couldn't turn the motor over. I figured turning it over with no fuel/ oil might've made it a little dry, so I pulled the plugs to squirt some oil in the cylinders, turned the flywheel by hand and water shot out of the bottom cylinder. I pulled the head, the head gasket was fine, I put a new one in just in case, and had the same result. Before I started pulling everything apart, I was curious if this was a common issue, ie junk gaskets etc, or if my block is most likely cracked and I'm SOL
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.