Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a fueling problem with my 1987 bayliner 2450 with a

Customer Question

I have a fueling problem with my 1987 bayliner 2450 with a 305 chevy. When I power down the lake under moderate power the boat looses power and will die. I have see though fuel filter by the carb and have noticed that under power the fuel filter will go dry. I have replaced the fuel pump and did the same thing. I replaced the fuel pick up and check valve and bye passed the water separator and it does the same thing. I have looked in the fuel tank and is as clean. I know I'm missing something. what is it?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

The one thing that you have not done is the lines themselves. They can and do fail internally and this will cause this type of problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have changed the lines and after I took the old ones off the took the time to strengthen them out to see if I could see light thought and they where clear. I also took all the still line off and ran fluid and a wire thru and we're nice and clear. I also checked the fuel pump push Rod time see if it had wear on it and it was to spec. I also checked the throw on the fuel pump push Rod and it seems to move in and out like it was designed. I know it something that I have overlooked but it's not obvious to me at this time.
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Run the engine on a separate fuel source. See if the problem is still there. If so, it may not be the fuel system, but in the carb.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The carb was the first thing that I rebuild, That was when I noticed that the fuel wasn't getting to the carb through the see thru fuel filter. that's what made me think it's a fueling problem. so far all the thing that you have said I have done before I first emailed. I also have checked the venting to check for vapor lock. I was hoping that there was something so blinding obvious that someone from the out side could point it out to me. I'm hoping you still might be able to come up with something that I haven't though of yet. Sorry foe my slow response. I ended up going on vacation without the boat. the lake isn't the same siting on the shore.
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Ok, please remember that I am not there to see what all you have or have not done. I start with the easier stuff to not over look anything.

Install an inline gauge after the fuel pump, start the engine. Watch the gauge as you increase the RPM on the engine, if it does not raise to between 4-6 PSI, replace the pump.