Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a '88 / 254 Seahawk in nearly pristine condition and

Customer Question

I have a '88 / 254 Seahawk in nearly pristine condition and have recently bought a 5.7 liter MercCruiser engine (never hooked up before which had set up for several years due to a death in another person's family). The engine has been mounted in the engine compartment but not aligned with the outdrive (a cobra outdrive that had only been used in freshwater, supposedly).
The engine controls, steering and instruments / gauges need to be hooked up along with all of the hydraulic trim motors and etc. (basically everything is there but not hooked up; along with new trim tabs).
I have around $10K (which includes a fairly new all aluminum / dual axle trailer with brakes) and I've been quoted about $2,500 to hook it up by an honest engine mechanic / friend of mine to get it running (it has never been running since I've owned it for the last 5 years as it did not even have a decent trailer at first nor an engine at the time I got it.)
What do you think . . . is it worth putting more money into it?
(I know . . . if it is worth it to me it is . . . is always the correct answer to holes in the water we pour money into!)
but is $2,500 about right if there are no other major flaws in the boat: like fuel tank replacement or rotten stringers or transom!
What should I do to check these out.????
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

I understand everything you wrote but didn't see a question. What can I help you with?