Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

Chocking n sputtering n dying like not getting gas or water

Customer Question

Chocking n sputtering n dying like not getting gas or water in gas. How do I check to see if fuel pump is ok?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I have a 2003 stratos w a 200 mercury. Going across lake boat died..eventually started, ran enough to get back to dock..chocked n sputtered. Fuel pump?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I drained all the gas out of it ..but just had thought about potential fuel pump issues
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

There are several ways to test a fuel pump, depending on the engine. If it is a carb engine, remove the inlet hose to the top carb, then crank the engine, you should get fuel out of the hose. It it is EFI or DFI, It is a simple key on test to see if you can hear the pumps run or not. But first, I would make sure that there is not any water in the fuel tank.