Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a 2004 mercury sea ray sundeck. With a 5.0 liter

Customer Question

I have a 2004 mercury sea ray sundeck. With a 5.0 liter mercury in it. It wont start when in neutral. When I push the botton and then move the throttle handle forward not engauging the transmission i can get it started. When i pull the handle back into neautrla it dies. Any suggestions.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

You have a bad IAC (idle air control). What you are doing is opening the throttle plate just enough for the engine to get air allowing it to start. The IAC is supposed to open just a little to allow air in to the engine. So you have bypassed the IAC. When ever a customer has trouble start their engine this is the first step to trouble shooting the IAC. Advancing the throttle only just a little.

Replace the IAC this will solve you start problem.

Post your engine serial number and I can get you a part number and a link to order from.