Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

1995 Yamaha..Stalls and stops can't get started

Customer Question

1995 Yamaha..Stalls and stops can't get started again...lot's of black smoke out the back...more coming
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Is he in Denver?
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: yes. on the trailor,m ski starts..and idle and revs great...put it in water and it only goes at idle speed. I have replaced plugs...they foul quickly.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What is the model number on this engine?

When did the problem start, have you ever personally seen the engine run correctly?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Linda
RA700
Started before last year, but only slightly...there was a pause of acceleration before the ski would take off.
yes
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 5 months ago.

Hi Linda. Thank you for your question. I am happy to help with diagnostic and repair advice.

This sounds like you have either a mechanical or fuel related problem. In PWC diagnostics, anytime there is a running problem, especially on the 2 stroke water craft, we always start with a compression test.

I would like you to do a compression test on both cylinders please. You will need a compression tester to do this. Also, when you do the test, make sure you only remove the spark plug out of the cylinder you are testing. Do not take both of them out. Also, make sure you ground both spark plug leads. You can use the spark plug you took out of the one cylinder to install in one of the plug caps and then just lay the metal part of the spark plug on the cylinder head. You can use an old plug for the other spark plug cap.

If hte compression test comes back good, we are going to have to take a look at the carbs. That is going to include taking them apart. Are you comfortable doing that and have all the basic hands tools to get them off and apart? There are no special tools required, just basics like combination wrenches, screwdrivers, side cutters and basics like that.

Let me know where you are at on this.

As far as that hesitation you felt, that is a lean condition on the low speed circuit in the carbs. We can fix that later because that is not the cause of the black smoke you have pouring out the exhaust now.

Also, Yamaha made 2 RA700's in 95. One was a had a purple hull with an orange seat, the Deluxe had a blue hull with a yellow seat. Which one of those do you have?

Thanks,

Customer/p>