Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I have a 2002 Mercruiser MPI 350- Bravo ( Ser # OM 339861

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Mercruiser MPI 350- Bravo ( Ser # ***** 339861 that is loosing fuel pressure when tested at the schrader valve on the fuel rail. At idle to about 2000 RPM it runs ok and has 40-42 PSI of pressure. After accelerating it runs about 1-3 minutes, then it stalls when PSI drops to about 10. Could this be the Fuel Pressure regulator ( part # *****). Fuel seperator and in-line fuel filter have been changed.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

No, the regulator does not fit the issue. If the regulator was bad you would have either high pressure pressure, or very low fuel pressure from the start plus a flooding condition. You either have a bad pump or a tank issue causing fuel starvation, with a tank issue being the more likely of the two.

What I would do if you brought this to my shop is disconnect the fuel line from the engine and hook up my own portable tank to the engine, and run it on the portable. If there is no change, the fuel pump is bad. If fuel pressure remains constant, you would need to inspection your fuel lines for blockages/collapsing, check the fuel tank vent, if the tank has an anti siphon valve on it that will need to be replaced, if there is a fuel shutoff valve that needs to be inspected, and finally, if absolutely no change after inspecting/changing all those items, the tank needs to be pumped out and scoped with an inspection camera to see if there is any debris in the bottom of the fuel tank that can clog the fuel pickup. Does that all make sense to you?

Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Was there anything else?

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

It looks like you read my reply without putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.