Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Mercruiser 4.3 l about 20 years old. Engine turns over but

Customer Question

Mercruiser 4.3 l about 20 years old. Engine turns over but won't fire. How can I check electric cut off is not stopping it from starting?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If it is not starting, first thing you need to check is if it is electrical or fuel related problem. Remove the spark plugs and connect a spark gap tester and check for spark on the plugs. Let me know of your test so that we can continue trouble shooting. As for the shift interrupt switch, if you are suspecting this is the problem, just disconnct the wire from the switch and see if there is spark now.