Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Dominick- I have an inoperative trim/tilt on a 1985

Customer Question

Hi Dominick- I have an inoperative trim/tilt on a 1985 Stringray with a 140 Merc MR1 drive. I have traced it to a chafed pump-to-drive line near where it exits the bilge into the transom bracket. (oildyne) The boat is on a shore station in no. WI, full down trim. All oil has been lost. Is it possible to replace (or at least patch) this line while it's on the lift) I'm not sure if I can get the boat back on the trailer without drive damage to repair it in my shop here.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

To answer your question no, there is no way to patch the line. When the trim is working, there can be over 3000 psi in that line, there is no patch that would hold that kind of pressure. If you have to tow the boat, what you would need to do is disconnect the trim cylinders and lift the drive up by hand, and tie it off.

Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me. If you have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service.

Thanks again,

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Good morning, just checking in. No rating was put through yet, did you have any further questions on the issue?