Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Have 2004 280 Sundancer twin Mercruiser 4.3's with Alpha 1

Customer Question

Have 2004 280 Sundancer twin Mercruiser 4.3's with Alpha 1 Gen 2 Outdrives. Everything worked last year but on de winterization the smartcraft gauges won't work for either engine. Engines run fine. None of the 4-in 1 analog gages work. The Fuel gauge does not work. LCDs work on the speedo and two Tachs, shows 0 for most readings, 1092 fuel used. Shows NO TACHO FOUND on speedo LCD. AL is flashing on most Tach screens. Scan Tool results. Both engines failed the Tach output test using scan tool, no rpms on the analog or digital readings. Port: 03MY 4.3 ALPHA, CAL 864270-007, AAAF 0008 4.3 EFI, Sensor power 4.96 VDC, Batt 13 VDC. Starboard: 03MY 4.3 ALPHA, CAL 864270-007, AAAF 0008 4.3 EFI, Sensor power 5.0 VDC, Batt 13.2 VDC. Good voltage, rpms, oil pressure, water temp for both motors with scan tool. Have disconnected the port CAN engine line at the engine with no change and have disconnected the starboard CAN engine line at the engine with no change. Turned the batteries off for 10 plus minutes with no change. Checked the CAN line terminal resistor for both engines. Port Terminal Resistor 118 Ohm. Starboard Terminal Resistor 117 Ohm. Disconnected each tach at the gauge with no change. Can you help?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: not right now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

On the engines there will be a fuse holder. Inside it will be either a 5A or a 2A fuse. Make sure that these are good. This is the fuse that transmits the power for the SmartCraft gauges from the engines.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There are a set or 3 15 amp (mini automotive type yellow fuses) on each engine. All are good.
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

Disconnect the CAN from the tach, locate the power wires inside the plug. Make sure that with the key on, you are getting power there. If not, test it on the engine and see if you are getting power there. If not, inspect the harness to see if there are any bad spots in the wires.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
5 volts at both places on both engines.
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

Odd, with the voltage getting there, that would be bad tachs. Really odd that it would be both at once.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I agree. just ordered 2 new tachs so we will see.
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

Sounds good.