Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a 112 v4 outboard that has been out of the water

Customer Question

I have a johnson 112 v4 outboard that has been out of the water for several years. it has low hours of usage. I installed a new battery in my 19 ft sunbird and the engine turns over but soon stalls out blowing out a lot of smoke. a friend says that fuel my be clogging the line from non- use. what is the solution for this problem and should it involve great expense? I
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Since the engine has been sitting so long you need to go through the entire fuel system. Starting at the fuel tank going all the way to the engine. The fuel in the tank is going to be bad and all the fuel components carbs, fuel pump and fuel filters will be gummed up with old fuel residue.

The cost will be around $500.00- 1,000.00 for the labor and parts. Allot will depend on what is found. With how bad the fuel has contaminated the fuel system.

Post back with questions.