Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I forgot to close the gas cap on my boat. It was a pretty

Customer Question

I forgot to close the gas cap on my boat. It was a pretty rough day and we took some seawater in the gas tank. After running fine for a little while, the Merc. Force 50 quit and would not restart, after many attempt. When I finally got the boat home, I drained the gas tank and yes...plenty of seawater in there. I've allowed the tank to dry, added 2 gallons of fresh gas, added the 50:1 ratio of oil....and the motor still will not start. Your thoughts please???
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello Tom. My name is Tan.

Have you drained all the fuel filters and the carburetors of the old fuel water?

I would start there be sure we have fresh fuel to the carburetors.

To drain the carbs you will have to drop the float bowls down. Just remove the bottom plug # *****